SEVEN % SOLUTION Wine Tasting: Time to Try Something New

Seven Percent Solutions Wine Tasting Logo Here’s an event that’s new and fun:  The SEVEN % SOLUTION Wine Tasting.  Next Saturday, Bergamot Alley (328A Healdbsurg Avenue, Healdsburg, 707-433-8720) hosts a wine tasting focused on less-common varietals such as Vermentino, Picpoul, Cinsault, and Aglianico.  This is an exciting opportunity to visit Healdsburg, enjoy well-crafted wines, and discover some new varietals (and wineries) you hadn’t been exposed to before.  This tasting event runs between 3:00 and 7:00 pm on May 11, and tickets are $40 per person.  Please go here soon to purchase your tickets, as the event is expected to sell out.

The wine tasting’s name comes from the group’s calculation that roughly 93% of the North Coast Appellation vineyard acreage is planted to eight major grape varietals (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, etc.).  The remaining 7% of acreage is home to numerous lesser known varietals and while these varietals may be heavily planted in their respective native lands (France, Spain, Portugal, etc.) they remain largely unknown to many California wine consumers. Some of the “seven percent” varietals you can expect to taste at SEVEN % SOLUTION include: Trousseau, Semillon, Montepulciano, Chenin, Picpoul, Grenache, Touriga Nacional, Albariño, Mourvèdre, Vermentino, Gamay, Ribolla Gialla, Counoise, Barbera, Grenache Blanc, Cinsault, Carignan, St. Laurent, Tinta Cão, Aglianico, and Verdelho.

Broc Cellars

Broc Cellars

The wineries at SEVEN % SOLUTION are embracing varietals which show tremendous potential for making delicious, expressive and balanced terroir-driven wines.  Creating wines that retain varietal correctness while also exhibiting characteristics true to their California soils and climate is part of the challenge for these winemakers.  Participating wineries include: Arnot-Roberts, Bedrock Wine Co., Broc Cellars, Dirty & Rowdy Family Winery, Forlorn Hope Wines, Idlewild Wines, Jolie-Laide Wines, Leo Steen Wines, Massican, Matthiasson, RPM Wines, Ryme Cellars, Stark Wine, The Scholium Project, Two Shepherds, Unti Vineyards, and Wind Gap.

To find the SEVEN % SOLUTION Wine Tasting just go a half-block north of Healdsburg Plaza to Bergamot Alley Wine Bar and Merchants, a small family-owned business where you can usually find a by-the-glass list of 15-20 wines, 6 draft beers and around 30 bottled beers (both 750s and bombers).  The name “Bergamot Alley” was inspired by the bouquet (bergamot orange and rose petal) of owner Kevin Wardell’s favorite obscure grape variety, Lacrima di Morro d’Alba.

So, if you are in the mood to explore new wines and/or wineries you should take advantage of this great excuse to head over to Healdsburg next weekend.  While you are in this part of Sonoma County, you can find our recommendations for wineries and food destinations for the Dry Creek, Russian River, and Alexander Valley regions by following the drop-down menus on the navigation bar above under “Favorites by Wine Region.”

 

(There is also a preview SEVEN % SOLUTION tasting event for TRADE members only on Wednesday, May 8, between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm.  If you are interested, please send an email soon to info@bergamotalley.com to express your desire to attend)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>